CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Thinking about an Etsy Business

I've been a stay at home mom for almost 6 years, but for the first time, I'm thinking about opening an Etsy shop.  My husband lost his job this summer, but, honestly, it isn't related to that timing that made me think of this opportunity.  We are fairly hopeful he'll have a job soon.  More, it had to do with life--many of my friends are starting to do little part time work at home or in the job world, and my oldest just started Kindergarten.  Next year my youngest will be in preschool, and I will actually have time alone when there are no kids at home!

As you can tell from my blog name, I love parties and creativity.  I love to bake and cook, I love decorating, I love writing, I love art and drawing, and these can all form a nice marriage when you are planning a theme party.  My favorite part of party planning is picking a theme and weaving it across the party into decorations, games, food, etc.  I started liking party decoration businesses on Facebook pages, and I came to realize I really enjoyed all the creativity and it was something I would do well.  I'm not a printable party person--I want texture on my decorations and handmade details that make it look unique and special.  In addition, I want my designs to be cute, but modern and contemporary.

I am thinking about just starting with basics--having a few themes for parties and selling some main handmade decorations--banners in the theme, a birthday hat in the theme for the guest of honor, cupcake picks, cupcake sleeves, goodie bag tags, table banners, etc.  I might also make custom order vertical photo banners made to the desired theme--these add such personality and big impact to a party. 

Of course, it isn't as easy as just starting the business.  I am researching graphics for the shop, looking up places to print business cards, figuring out shipping costs/methods, thinking of cute packaging, buying a Silhouette for die cuts and easy letter graphics (the new Silhouettes aren't available until October), etc.  I'm hoping to get this going by the end of October.

It's a little scary too.

Am I ready to face failure or the demand of the shop if it succeeds?  I won't know unless I try.  I'm praying about it, planning, and getting excited. 

I'll keep you all updated as the shop progresses and when it will open.

If you have ever considered an Etsy business shop, share your thoughts!  Here is a quick, easy read to get you started on planning:  http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2011/the-quick-start-guide-to-selling-on-etsy/.

I apologize that I haven't posted as many crafts lately.  Between ministry planning, family needs, shop planning and school starting, life hasn't allowed as much time for crafting random things.  I am looking forward to a December wedding for my sister in law and the fall holidays coming, and I can't wait to share these things with you too!  I have a lot of joy in my heart concerning the things to come!

2 comments:

  1. hi Chiara! I think you're very talented and it will be something inspiring and challenging for you. It won't be easy, starting a business never is, but I know that you will find the strength in God to keep going! I will pray God helps you with inspiration and dedication to walk every day in this project! And I will pray that your husband finds a job soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you will do a great job! You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...