CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"Ticket" Invitation Tutorial

So, we are throwing our soon to be 5 year old a "carnival" themed party in March.  I made his invitations last week, and I am really happy with how easy they were and how bright and cheery they turned out to be. 

There are several birthday themed parties that would be great with a "ticket" invitation.  If you have a movie themed party, you go to a show, you have a circus theme, you have a carnival theme, you hold an amusement park party, you go to the zoo, or you celebrate in any venue that usually has tickets, you can use a twist on this fun invitation.

First, choose your colors.  I bought 2 kinds of cardstock:  Blue for the background and yellow for the printed ticket.  Also, buy a scrapbook paper pattern to hold your ticket and glue onto the background. This is a fun place to get creative with your theme.  Finally, buy your envelopes in a coordinating color.

I wanted to do all my scrapbook paper in red and white carnival stripes, but the store only had 2 sheets left.  I did not want to drive all over the place, so I bought blue polka dotted paper and did scalloped edges with the red and white stripes.  That is why my invitation required 2 types of scrapbook paper.


The first thing to do is measure your envelopes and cut your background cardstock accordingly.  I had A7 envelopes, so I had 5x7 shaped background cardstock.

Next, cut your scrapbook paper about 1/4-1/2 inch shorter on each side.  This will let the "trim" of the background cardstock show when you glue down your scrapbook paper.


You need to use a razor to cut a slit in your scrapbook paper.  This is into where the ticket will be tucked.  I cut my slit about 2/3 of the way down.  It needs to be wide enough to hold your ticket but leave at least a 1/2 inch or so unsliced on each side.  I did this out in my hubby's organized workbench area.  Using a straight edge helped me cut in a straighter line.




To make the ticket, I downloaded some carnival fonts off of Dafont.com.  I used carnival, ringmaster, circus and big top fonts.  Once I wrote my initation, I printed it onto my cardstock.  I cut the font to be narrow and long like a ticket. 



Once I had the narrow rectangle, I was able to scallop the edges with scissors and then use a 1" punch to cut out a half circle in the middle of the two sides.



When you glue the invitation together, don't glue below the slit on your scrapbook paper (unless you want a small line of glue along the very bottom edge).  Otherwise, your ticket won't have a little air pocket into which it can slide down.



Glue it all together, assemble and voila!  Have fun with different colors, themes, fonts, and papers. 




This post was linked to:

Photobucket
Hope Studios






Today's Creative Blog


Sumo's Sweet Stuff
Show and Tell Green
giveaways
Transformation Thursday
IhookedupwithHoHlamespice

10 comments:

  1. So cute! I'm definitely going to have to try this some time...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Carnival Theme! The tickets turned out so perfect!

    I just awarded you the Stylish Blogger award!! Stop on by to pick it up!!
    http://amamab.blogspot.com/2011/02/stylish-blogger-award.html

    Aubrie @ http://amamab.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this thanks for sharing. We are planning a movie party and this idea will be perfect for the invitations!

    http://gigglesgalorenmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this - so cute! I would love to feature your tutorial on my new blog - http://everyday-is-a-celebration.blogspot.com/

    Please email me if your interested @ kelsalexandra@hotmail.com

    Kelsey :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!! I'll have to keep this in mind for my son's next birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable invitations! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight at http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun invitations. Glad I found you. By the way, I have a contest giveaway on my blog you might find fun. Take a look. triumphandtears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting nice blog. PrintMagic Also Avail Design Services for A7 Envelopes and by adding it to the above calculator. Send us your required specifications and we’ll create the custom design from scratch, very unique, and by matching your needs and for brand messaging. Once you approve the final design, we will get them printed and will deliver them to your doorstep! You can also create personalized custom a7 envelopes and by using our free print layout templates and get started! The acceptable file formats are PDF, AI, InDesign, and Photoshop. All you have to do is select a template, customize the text, fonts and even add the company logo and placement! Voila, your personalized envelope is ready.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...