CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

BBQ Chicken Salad

I wonder who first created the yummilicious bbq chicken salad?  Here in Southern California, it really started popping up all over the place in the 90's--maybe earlier and I just wasn't aware.  California Pizza Kitchen had an early and very yummy rendition, but one of my favorites is at BJ's Pizzeria.  It is the chopped up onion rings that give the blue ribbon to that version!  Hmmm...

If you are ever wanting a quick, easy and yummy meal, I highly recommend a BBQ chicken salad.  My sister in law sweetly brought us one a couple of weeks ago when we were all sick, and it reminded me I hadn't made this salad recipe in awhile.
The lovely friend of mine who is getting the girl onesies (see post below) is getting a meal from me tonight.  She is watching her dairy, so I thought this was a good meal to bring.  Plus, the nice thing about a salad is you can individually bag all the ingredients so a nursing mom can not add onions or beans to her portion. Gassy or reflux babies are no fun at all!

I hate BBQing--I used to do it before I got married, but now I like my hubby to do any grill work.  Since he was at work as I prepped a meal to bring, I cooked the chicken breasts in a pot of water and bbq sauce mix.  After they were done, I quickly coated them in bbq sauce and pan grilled the chicken to get some grill lines.
Of course, traditional bbq chicken would be perfect if you like to work the grill outside.



I added half a bunch of cilantro to some prepackaged lettuce. 


You will need some corn and black beans.  I use canned. 


Roast some pine nuts quickly in a pan.  These are SO good when they are warm and buttery.


Chop up some red onion.  If you want to be decadent, chop up onion RINGS.  You will thank me later.

You must have cheese.  I use a Mexican blend for my salad.


You can add multiple ingredients that make you happy:  tomato, AVOCADO (very happy), thin tortilla strips and green onion are all common and successful options.

Chop up you chicken and add it to the salad mix.

To make your dressing, simply mix ranch dressing with bbq sauce to taste.


I made some cornbread to serve with the salad and, of course, cinnamon rolls.

As I just mentioned in my chicken enchilada post, I learned about the genius of cinnamon rolls when I had my boys.  She brought us gooey, yummy cinnamon rolls which served as dessert AND a delicious breakfast.

Enjoy!  It is super easy and always full of deliciousness.

I linked this post to:
HookingupwithHoH
giveaways







2 comments:

  1. Yu-hum! I'm adding this to next week's menus. Avocados make me very happy as well (as do cinnamon rolls, but we won't go there).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cinnamon rolls?? How come we didn't get any of those too?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...