CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Low Carb Lasagna

Two months (three rounds) on oral steroids and inhaler steroids to fight my ongoing cough/lung issues has helped me put on some unwelcome weight.  Needless to say, I am working hard to get some of the added pounds off.  My body responds well to cutting out sugar and refined carbohydrates. 
I saw this low carb recipe on Prudently Painted Vintage and knew I had to try it.  I adapted it slightly, but you can see her original recipe at the above link.  She focused on low fat ingrediets too, but I didn't worry too much about whole fat cheeses in my dish since my diet is focused on low carb and no sugar.  I'm just being wise with my fat intake (moderation).  I also made a bigger quantity so I could have leftovers.  If you are watching your carbohydrates, Italian dishes can be tricky, so this recipe seemed like a good break from my usual menu.  It was a nice, flavorful and healthy treat, and the colorful dish was a feast for the eyes!



Cook your vegetables.  I picked zucchini and spinach.  I sauteed the zuccini in olive oil and added salt and pepper.  I quickly wilted the spinach in the very small amounts of olive oil left in the pan.

I started with this much fresh spinach.

It wilted and cooked to this amount.

Now cook and brown your ground turkey in the same pan.

Layer the ingredients (see recipe below) and cook for 25 minutes at 350.

I made a spinach salad for the side dish.  I used fresh spinach, feta, mandarine oranges, strawberries, avocado and Marie's vinagrette.  It was my dessert for the night. : )  I added croutons for my hubby, but I picked mine out.

Here is the yummy, final product.  It smells amazing!

Plated and ready to devour--salad, lasagna (and cheese biscuits for the boys). : )


Low Carbohydrate Lasagna


Ingredients:
About 1.5 pounds of Jenny O lean Italian seasoned, ground turkey 93/7
 one jar of low sugar spaghetti sauce (Safeway had a store brand jar w/only 7 carbs per 1/2 cup)
2 cups Italian style grated cheese
medium container of ricotta cheese
Fresh basil shredded
 Your choice of veggies (I used zucchini and spinach--2 zucchinis sliced and a bag of fresh spinach)

Preheat oven to 350. Cook ground turkey thoroughly in pan. Drain. Put cooked ground turkey in a glass baking dish (mine was a 9 by 13). Put entire container of ricotta cheese over turkey. Then put half of jar of spaghetti sauce over ricotta cheese. Put veggies over this and sprinkle 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Put remaining sauce and cover with the rest of cheese. Sprinkle with desired amount of fresh basil. Put in oven for 25 min.

 Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. That salad looks insanely good!!! I love using zuke instead of noodles in lasagna! this came out GORGEOUS! =) save me a slice?

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so going to try this awesome recipe. My husband has a gluten allergy and we are ALWAYS looking for yummy things to eat. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...