CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 20, 2012

Low Carb Chicken (tortilla if you want it) Soup

I told you all that I am doing Atkins.  You can read my post here.  One of my favorite meals whether I am dieting or not dieting is chicken tortilla soup.  In fact, you can read a previous recipe I shared for this yummy meal--a thicker, higher carb version than the one I'm about to share. 

Recently I had the chicken tortilla soup at Cafe Rio and fell in love.  It is really brothy, with tons of fresh ingredients.  I get it every time I go.

So, when I wanted to cook a low carb version of chicken tortilla soup, I thought of my favorite order at Cafe Rio.  I have to say, it turned out to be delicious!  If you are looking for a good comfort soup or a good diet recipe, I highly recommend this soup.

First I boiled my three chicken breasts in 2 boxes of chicken stock.  Then I shredded and chopped up the cooked chicken (keep the stock for the soup).
Add 2 cups of water to the stock and bring to a simmer. 
Add some taco seasoning into your soup to taste.  I added very little, because I was wanting a very fresh ingredient taste.
Drop the chicken into the liquid again.
I chopped up a small yellow onion and let it simmer in the soup for a couple of hours.

When you are ready to eat, mix a couple tablespoons of lime juice into your soup.
Spoon some steaming hot soup with the chicken and onion into your bowl.
Put a couple of tablespoons of fresh salsa into your soup in your bowl and stir.
Put 2 generous tablespoons of guacamole into your bowl or add fresh chopped up avocado.
Sprinkle a little Mexican mixture cheese into your soup. (Usually Jack and Cheddar blends)
Chop up fresh cilantro and put it all over your bowl of soup.
If you aren't going low carb, heap some tortilla chip strips on the top of your soup.  I didn't add any, and I still was happy with the soup.

Your kitchen will smell so good, and you will feel full on hot, healthy soup!
My hubby will get some cornbread on the side, and I've had this soup at Rubio's Baja Grill with lots of rice in it.  This won't do for my Atkins friends, but it might be something I add to my husband's bowl to make it more filling.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...