CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Fresh, Homemade Cream of Broccoli Soup


I am watching my carbs, so a creamy vegetable soup sounded so good to me--low carbs when you subtract the fiber and very filling!  I was at the store and just opened the Epicurious app on my phone.  Up popped this recipe gem from Gourmet magazine, 1993.  It looked easy enough, and it was!

First, I sauteed carrots, onions, salt, pepper and mustard seed in butter.  I was skeptical at the use of mustard seeds, but it MADE the soup.  Do not skip this ingredient.

I then added stock, water, thinly sliced carrots and chopped broccoli into my pot to simmer and soften.

After everything is nice and soft, you put it into a food processor or blender and puree.

Take the soup off the heat and whisk in some acid (lemon juice) and sour cream.  I sprinkled cheese over each serving and put a little dollop of sour cream on the top too. 

If you love fresh vegetables and creamy textures, you'll love this soup.  It is perfect for spring or summer, as it is lighter than most cheddar/broccoli soups.  I can't wait to try the recipe with asparagus or cauliflower.

The reviewers recommended some garlic and white wine to add more flavor layers to the soup.  I haven't tried this, but you might.  I found it absolutely delicious the way it was.  Click the link at the top to view the full recipe, view more pictures and read the reviews.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...