CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Hostess with the Mostess--or not

December was crazy this year.  I'm  not going to lie.  I hosted a boutique at my home on December 2nd, so that consumed much of the beginning of December.  In mid-December, we were planning a large scale ministry, Christmas celebration for about 250 people.  Last Thursday we decorated, organized and planned to throw a Christmas dinner for 70 people on a ministry's leadership team. 

What great opportunities to be thankful, to serve others and to demonstrate the love of Christ!  That was my goal, but, sadly, I failed miserably at times.

I'm not going to lie and pretend I did all that without sinning.  I had moments of complaining and stress.  In fact, even if we get through an event we are hosting with grace and joy, we have to look at our attitude when we had to run to an overpopulated Costco to pick up food for the event or how we felt when we finish the night and have hours of dishes and clean up to do.  Are we filled with joy, sacrificial love and thanksgiving then?

I was reading 1 Peter 4:9 this morning.  It says it pretty clearly:  "Show hospitality to one another without grumbling."  Wow.  There isn't any room for excuses there.  Thanks, God, for putting that mirror before my, at times, grumbly heart.

If you are in Christ, sisters, I urge you to align your thinking to God's like I am having to do.  It is SO easy to get overwhelmed and stressed, but remember that every imperfect detail is allowed by God to grow us, prune us and test us--even the failed centerpieces, missing guests and parking lot mishaps.  He doesn't want us to have the perfect, Martha Stewart Christmas party.  He wants us to grow into the likeness of Christ Jesus, the Savior we are celebrating.

This was just in time for those of you hosting Christmas Eve or Christmas.  When the turkey burns, someone spills on the couch, guests don't show, or you realize you forgot to buy the butter, just stop and pray.  Thank God for the growing lesson and extend grace and patience because we have been shown much more grace and patience than we are ever asked to give.

Merry Christmas, my fellow hostesses!  Our Savior is born!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for that word! It's definitely something with which I struggle and am prayerfully trying to overcome...I grumble when dealing with the imperfections of others and truly feel guilty about it afterwards :/ I randomly came across your blog through a stranger's Pinterest page; everything happens for a reason and in the right time:) Be blessed!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katherine! I appreciate the encouragement. I certainly know how God leads me to read certain scripture, books or blogs that speak right to my situation that day or week. He is faithful! Thanks for dropping by and leaving such a sweet note. Chiara

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...