CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fabric Headband Tutorial


I know school has started because the germs have started making rounds.  Vapo Rub, Robitussin, Sudafed, Advil and Kleenex surround me.  I am in the midst of a chest cold that has really slowed me down. 

Yesterday I started to feel a little better in the afternoon.  It was naptime for the kids and hubby was watching his MSU game.  My Bruins didn't play for a couple more hours, so I decided to craft a fabric flower headband with my burst of energy and rare little pocket of free time.

I had a packet of circular, elastic, work-out headbands from the grocery store, including a white band.  These hold my sleek, straight hair better than a normal headband.  I dug into my fabric pile and found some oatmeal fabric scraps that were soft and fluffy.  Perfect!

I found a mason jar and used the inner lid as my circle template.  I traced one on white felt for the bottom of my flower, and then I traced about 9 or 10 large circles on the oatmeal fabric and about 8-10 small circles (I used a water bottle) to be filler petals to add volume. 

The process and tutorial for these flowers and folding the circular petals is found on my earlier post here.  As you can see, my flower headband is using more petals than my tutorial link, and, because of that, it looks fuller and thicker.  I did not use any cardboard in my base like I did in the tutorial for the flower pins because I wanted the felt base of the flower headband to mold to the shape of the head and not look rigid.   

I always start adding petals on the base edge first and work my way to the center of the flower.  I just keep hot gluing the folds until it looks full and pretty. 

This can be worn in a hipster, forehead manner or as a normal headband style.  I was feeling adventurous and, despite my not so hipster age, I went for a more hippie look.  I paired it with a flowy, chiffon blouse over skinny jeans and went out for a casual family dinner feeling very fun and almost forgetting I was sick.

Have a healthy, blessed week, everyone!


2 comments:

  1. I think it would look pretty with your hair up but low like in a messy bun and then with the headband on and the flower on the bottom on one side of the bun! Very pretty diy, I saw a cute baby mobile using fabric flowers on Etsy that cost 185 dollars!!! I think I am going to use your tutorial and make a mobile for Baby girl Barkey! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bun idea sounds really pretty, Amanda. I'll have to try that! I love the idea of a flower mobile for your soon to be here baby girl! Send me a pic if you do that!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...