CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins


My husband got home from work early yesterday afternoon, and he graciously watched the kiddos while I went grocery shopping.  When I take the kids, grocery shopping takes about an hour.  When I went yesterday, I was in and out in 20 minutes max.  It is amazing how productive I can be when I can shop without tantrums, spilled goods, heart training sessions, etc.

Anyway, in my amazing speed, I did forget to buy the boys breakfast muffins, which I had promised to them.  So, this morning, we baked together after I found this recipe on All Recipes.com.  My boys are used to the grocery store muffins, which are more cupcake than muffin, so this recipe was definitely healthier and less sugar filled than they were used to eating.  They still loved it, and I had fun making them with my little muffin eaters.

First, soak your oats in milk for 15 minutes.



I then mixed the wet ingredients and brown sugar, and I used a full 3/4 cup of brown sugar in the muffins (they still were not super sweet).



Mix the wet ingredients into the milk soaked oats.  Then combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.  Don't forget to measure out some chocolate chips! 



Slowly combine the oats and wet mixture into the dry ingredients until everything is just moist.  Yumminess.


Put in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F.  Be ready for happy kiddos!






Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins from All Recipes (slightly adapted by me)

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1 1/4 cups milk (I used whole)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar (I used the whole 3/4 cup in the muffins, and I might add a whole cup next time)
  • 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped pecans (I did not add nuts--only because I don't like them in my baked goods)
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt (I used about 1/2 tsp)

Directions:
  1. Combine oats and milk and allow to stand for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Grease each cup of one 12-cup muffin tin. (I used cupcake foils in my muffin pan)
  2. Stir egg, oil, 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of the pecans into the oat and milk mixture.
  3. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add oat mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just moist. Fill each cup of one 12-cup muffin tin 2/3 full. Sprinkle tops with the remaining brown sugar and pecans. (I skipped the sprinkle of sugar and pecans, but I think I will sprinkle some sugar next time)
  4. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes. (My muffins were completely cooked in 20)
I linked this post to:


2 comments:

  1. that would me a perfect excuse for me to actually eat oats, I don't know why I'm in refusal, even though I know they're good for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shopping trips all by yourself are always great :) Those oatmeal and chocolate muffins sound like a perfect snack! I'd love for you to come by and show off your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a blessed day :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...