CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Lessons from The Little Drummer Boy

                    
Like most people, I love a good rendition of O' Holy Night or The First Noel, but the song that tears me up each year is The Little Drummer Boy.  Yup.  Are you thinking, "Why?"

I love the words and the message they have for us. 

"Come, they told me
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
Our newborn King to see
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum

Our finest gifts we bring
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
To lay before the King
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
Rum, pa, pum, pum, rum, pa, pum, pum

So to honor Him
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
When we come

Little Baby
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
I am a poor boy too
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum

I have no gift to bring
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
That's fit to give a King
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
Rum, pa, pum, pum, rum, pa, pum, pum

Shall I play for You
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
On my drum, on my drum

Mary nodded
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
The ox and lamb kept time
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum

I played my drum for Him
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
I played my best for HimPa, rum, pa, pum, pum
Rum, pa, pum, pum, rum, pa, pum, pum

Then He smiled at me
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
Me and my drum"

Although this is a fictional account, and there wasn't a drummer boy with the wise men (in fact, the wise men did not visit Mary and Christ until well after they were already home and not in the manger--read Matthew 1 and 2 carefully), I love the fact that this song reminds us that God gave us each our own circumstances and gifts.  Whatever we have, whether a poor drummer boy with a drum or a great wise man with riches, we need to joyfully and sacrificially honor God for His glory.  He is greatly pleased when we worship Him with such sincerity, thankfulness and obedience.  He is worthy of our best--whatever that may be!

We know we can't earn God's favor.  Only repentance for sin and faith in what Christ has done for us can save us, but, as Christians, we can show thankfulness and honor to the God who sent Christ to live the perfect life for us and then die and face God's wrath for our sin.

Don't let circumstances keep you from giving God your best and the glory due to Him.  He sees our hearts and knows when we are truly honoring Him.

Do you have an opportunity to share the gospel?  Can you serve a needy family dinner or buy some presents for them, inviting them to church?  Can you share your testimony with a friend?  Can you use your talents to serve others at church? 

What is your best gift that you can give to God to honor Him today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...